Sunday, May 3, 2009

Going to the Movies...Alone

First, I should say, I really am a horrible blogger. It's not that there haven't been things to write, just that I haven't written them (those "things" include my dissertation prospectus by the way)...

Tonight, I went to the movies alone--for the first time since Scott left almost three months ago (it will be three months on 8 May). I saw X Men Origins: Wolverine--which is a chick movie. Sorry, for as much action as there is, there are just too many beefy guys (and spoiler alert: Jackman's naked body, read, behind) and too much of a lost love revenge plot for it to be a "guy" movie in the "true" sense of the phrase. It's not a "great" movie, but I loved it for what it is--and of course, the beefy guys.

I had a great seat in the movie theater--high and center. No one sat within two seats on either side of me (despite the fact the theater was crowded for a Sunday matinee). I think the other movie-goers must have thought I was saving seats or that I was grotesque.

When I first moved to SC (when Scott was still at basic), I used to go eat dinner by myself all the time. The servers always felt bad for me (I get that the word is less "sexist" than waitress/waiter, but isn't it more classist?) and insisted upon spending more time checking in on me. Despite their kindness, the act used to annoy the hell out of me--I was trying to avoid stress, trying to avoid beind "alone" at home, just wanted a night out--with a nice salad and a margarita, not someone pitying me.

The loner movie experience is much nicer--no one bothers you; in fact, no one will even sit near you. =)

No comments: